January 26, 2009

Tatted Hanky

My mother was a beautiful tatter. She also loved hankies. Most of all, she loved a linen hankie with a tatted edge. It was very hard for her to find good linen, even in those days. Years ago she made it her personal project to make one for each of her nine daughters, tatting the edge in their favorite color. Note the finely rolled and finished edge with the small 'hole' , design above the hem - all done by hand.

I store this hanky in a small tin she gave me, because it keeps the linen away from the sunlight and keeps the threads from disintegrating. The hanky looks as new as the day she gave it to me - 23 years ago. I was overwhelmed when I did the math today. How could it be so long ago? What a treasure I have! You, too, can give gifts which become heirlooms.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a precious gift! The white linen looks so pretty with that beautiful tatted edge around it! Thank you for sharing it! I am having a tatting giveaway on my blog and I hope you come join if you haven't already! (there's a few people who have entered so forgive me if I do not remember).
I happened on your blog post from my "google alerts" on tatting.
:)

Montanagirl said...

It's beautiful. What a wonderful gift and priceless heirloom!

Gina said...

I was just gifted with the tatting supplies of a recently passed 94 year old. Her work was exquisite and there were 27 hanky blanks yet to tat on. I hope that my own work is valued as much when I am gone.