March 7, 2009

Know Your Plastics

Plastic containers leach cancer-causing chemicals into food. They have known it since 1987, but if you are like me, you keep forgetting which number in the bottom triangle is safe (that little recycling number on the container).

Containers with a 3, 6, or 7 on the bottom are the most dangerous. Do not store food or liquids in them.

Containers with a 4 or 5 are generally considered safe, but use sparingly. NEVER microwave in them.

Containers with a 1 or 2 are the safest. Sometimes called PETE and HDPE, they are safe for storing food and drink, but NEVER microwave in them.

No matter our age, we can remember One, Two Do!
So remember: One, Two Do!
Again: One, Two Do!



If you have a longer memory you could use: 4,5 seldom use; 1,2 always do. Please do not cover food with plastic wrap and microwave - they feel cancer-causing chemicals drip onto your food. Use a paper towel - they absorb the moisture better anyway!

6 comments:

Katten försvann said...

lol. you scared my pretty much, have to go and check my containers now.

Montanagirl said...

Pretty interesting. I had husband checking our milk, juice and other containers as I was reading this! (lol). Fortunately, they were all pretty much "2's". I never microwave in plastic, so guess we're okay. Thank you for sharing that.

The Hobbit said...

ok I'll never remember all that.But I'm passing the info on to the younger set.As for me, I have Fire King storage containers that my children have placed dibs on,hope this saved me from some nasty chemicals.

A New England Life said...

We do microwave in plastic every now and then, but not to often. I'll try not to do it at all anymore! Most all the containers we use are 1,2, or 5's so I think we're okay ; )

Good thing to know!

paula, the quilter said...

I would love to reply to the comments you make on my blog but you come in as [no-reply at blogger]. I have often mentioned to CarGuy that he should not use the Tupperware to microwave foods. Case in point, several of the Tupperware (inherited from Mom) has the telltale bubble/peeling on the inside.

Faye said...

Thank you for this info. I can NEVER remember the numbers so this will help. I am guilty of occasionally using plastic to micro in....no more! Thank you!!!!