January 16, 2010

Bunny in Little Dress

This little gal and dress made by my sister, Lois, is reminiscent of the dresses my mother use to make us girls. We nine sisters never knew what it was to own a bought dress. My Mom could look at a Sear and Roebuck catalog and make just what we wanted.

Our dresses could be this feminine or much simpler, like the straight skirts we wore as we got older. However, her baby dresses were often this lacy with oodles of ruffles.

I can remember yards and yards of fabric laying across the floor as Mom stitched in that loose stitch so she could ruffle the fabric. Lace like this was seen more often on the christening dresses, seldom on the older dresses.

It seems like I do not see lace much any more. Do you?

4 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I wonder if I still have that pattern? I made one of these bunnies too but dressed her in the pink and green combo that was so popular at the time.

Elaine said...

The bunny is adorable. My mother too made almost all of my clothes when I was younger, although never much in the way of lace. I made some of my daughter's clothes too when they were little, but that didn't last too long once they were in school. It used to be that sewing clothes was a way to save money, but it seems to me that with the cost of fabric now it's maybe even more expensive.

Dena said...

This dress is precious. Your sister did a beautiful job.

I used to make all of my daughter's dresses as they were growing up. One year I made each of them a dress specifically for their school Christmas program. After the event all of the parents were rushing through the auditorium to retrieve their children from their prospective classroom(s) and one of the mothers turned to me and said, "Did you make the girls' dresses? I could tell you did. They look just like Gunny Saks." At first I was shocked and didn't know what to say. Later as I was telling my grandmother about it, she started laughing and told me the other mother was giving me a very high compliment. It appears Gunny Sak was a very high end maker of children's clothes years ago. LOL

Connie said...

Oh, Dena. You are so right! Gunny Saks had beautiful dresses. I had one skirt pattern for my daughter which imitated them - maybe her favorite outfit.