February 23, 2010

Needlework

This framed needle work is quite large, probably almost 24 inches by 36 inches. Every feature and attire of the girl and her doll are done with thin yarn-like thread - very soft to sight and touch.

This is not counted cross-stitch, but a variety of stitches. The hours of work Zella put into this amazes me.

She was smart to put glass over the work as everyone wants to touch. I know they do not recommend covering your needlework with glass, but sometimes you do what you need to do. Notice that the glass is held away from the stitiches (not crushing the thread) by layered matting. The beautiful work is also hung where no direct sun light will bleach and destory the thread.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Zella creates so many beautiful things. This is really lovely!

Leedra said...

I have always put glass over my needlework, but I also used several layers of matting to move the glass away from the needlework. This is very pretty.